Year 7 Catch Up Premium
Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch up Premium
What is the Literacy and Numeracy Catch up Premium?
The premium we receive for Yr7 Literacy and Numeracy is intended for students who have been identified as low attaining pupils at the end of key stage 2. Low attainment is defined as attainment below age-related expectations. At St Martin’s School we currently have 45 students in Yr7 who have been identified as needing access to extra support in Literacy and Numeracy. In the academic year 2018-19 we received £13,983 and we expect a similar figure for 2019/20.
Year 7 Literacy and Numeracy Catch up strategies implemented at St Martin’s School:
- The Letterbox Club. This is an initiative run by the BookTrust, who supply support materials for both literacy and numeracy. These packs contain: revision guides, reading books and games that are delivered in 1-2-1 sessions run by selected sixth formers.
- Afterschool 1-2-1 tuition in either English or maths has been organised for students identified as needing the most support.
- DEAR time is completed daily with books selected being of an appropriate challenge to our catch up students. English staff and the librarian monitor their progress closely.
- The Accelerated Reading programme is also used for all students.
- Students spend 20mins once a week reading aloud to a sixth former.
- Timetabled literacy and numeracy classes take place once a week.
- Extra 1-2-1 literacy and numeracy lessons take place during the school day for those also identified on the SEND register.
- The Accelerated Reader programme has proved very successful with 75% of students involved achieving an improvement in reading age. 49% of these students have significantly increased their reading age in line with peers.
- Literacy interventions have also been successful with 37% of students making at least 2 or more sub-levels of progress. 16% of catch up students have achieved 3 sub-levels of progress.
- Numeracy figures are still slightly behind with only 5% achieving two or more sub-levels. This will group will remain a key focus for teachers.
- The catch up premium students from Yr7 will continue to get support in Yr8. They will still have access to: The Letterbox Club, Accelerated Reader, SEND support and literacy and numeracy timetabled lessons.