Head of Faculty - Mrs B Lewis
Within Design and Technology we aim to engage students in the design process which includes; analysis, problem solving, evaluating and the production of high quality outcomes through imaginative teaching and learning that encompasses both new technologies as well as established processes.
Most importantly all students are encouraged and supported to think creatively within an innovative, safe and positive environment to secure their subject knowledge and underpin their understanding.
At KS3 students will rotate topic every seven weeks enabling them to experience Food, Textiles, Resistant Materials and Graphics in preparation for their option choices at KS4. An Innovation project is also taught to each year group embedding the concept of the iterative design process.
The Faculty offers GCSE Design and Technology and GCSE Food Preparation & Nutrition in KS4 for Years 10 and 11. At KS5 students can opt for A-Level Product Design or A-Level Fashion and Textiles as part of their sixth form studies.
Successes and Activities include:
- Leonardo ( previously Selex Galileo) sponsored ‘Engineering Education Scheme’ project undertaken by year 12 pupils.
- Winners and runners up of Chelmsford Engineering Society project competitions - pupils from years 9, 11, 12 and 13.
- Rampaging Chariots competition, sposored by Leonardo, undertaken by year 9 students.
- Special Technology activity days involve pupils in team work in our Technology rooms.
- Junior Cook of the Year - Winner
- Textiles GCSE pupils previously achieved 2 places in “ Top 10 in England”.
- Go4SET Project teams previously received awards and were sponsored by Selex Galileo.
Technology consists of diverse subject areas;
Food, Graphics, Resistant Materials and Textiles.
Below it is intended to show the range and variety of work undertaken by students within the Faculty.
Every year the Textiles department like to show the year 11 and 13 student's coursework. This year continued the high standard and continues to impress.
Rampaging Chariots 2017
This year's competition on 1st July was our most successful ever, 6th year in the competition. We won the Sumo and the Two aside football competition. We got through to the semi-finals in the Assault course. Well done to the team for their organisation and planning in getting the results.