Extended Project Qualification
The Extended Project Qualification allows each student to embark on a largely self-directed and self-motivated project. Students must choose a topic, plan, research and develop their idea and decide on their finished product.
A project topic may be directly related to a student's main study programme, but should look beyond the specification. A finished product may take the form of a:
- research based written report
- production* (eg charity event, fashion show or sports event etc)
- an artefact* (eg piece of art, a computer game or realised design)
- *A written report must accompany these options.
Students must also record their project process in their Log Book. The process of recording and completing a project is as important as the finished product. Both the Log Book and Product will be assessed.
What the students need to do:
- Choose an area of interest and draft their project title and aims.
- Plan, research and carry out their project.
- Keep a production log of all stages of the project production, reviewing and evaluating their progress.
- Complete the project product.
- Prepare and deliver a presentation.
- Review the outcome of their project and presentation.
During the EPQ, they will learn to:
- manage – identify, design, plan, and complete a project (or task within a group project), applying organisational skills and strategies to meet their stated objectives
- use resources/research – obtain and select information from a range of sources, analyse data, apply it relevantly, and demonstrate understanding of any appropriate connections and complexities of their topic
- develop and realise – use a range of skills, including using new technologies, to solve problems, to take decisions critically, creatively and flexibly, and to achieve their aims
- review – evaluate the outcome, including their learning and performance
Universities and employers both value the EPQ and some university offers may be reduced if students choose a relevant topic title. The EPQ also receives UCAS points towards university entry.
Can all parents please check your email. Important message about the canteen tomorrow. Thanks.